Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:07:52 -0600
I too am a lurker here on the FML, however I have a suggestion from
lurkerdom.

How about we fast *Mr. Lipinski* for 2-3 days -- assuming he is
healthy, of course -- and keep him staked outside during that time,
alone out in the elements. I wonder how loved and protected *he*
would then feel when we came to "rescue" him?

The process he's described reminds me of some sorts of "holding
therapy" for children with attachment disorder. It may (or may not)
produce changes in the child's behavior, but only at the expense of
what comes seriously close to child abuse. As I understand it, the idea
is to make the child feel utterly powerless and frightened by wrapping
him in blankets and holding him down, often painfully, until he cries
out for help from mommy. Then the tormentor releases the child and
becomes the rescuer, and a bond is formed between parent and child.
Unfortunately, from my PoV, it's *not* a bond of *love* or *emapthy*
but a bond formed out of the idea that the child views the parent as
in absolute control and is afraid for his safety should he not please
his captor.

This "Lipinski therapy" for bad biters sounds similar. It *might* work
to change the ferret's behavior -- but for ALL the WRONG reasons.

I think Mr. Lipinski has already demonstrated just how open to
suggestion and criticism he is when he says:

>Glad to hear from you. Now I know I've got at least two readers . . .
>Yippee. Missy, you can be absolutely certain that every word I wrote
>is meant to be exactly what it says.

Please, let's not "feed" Mr. Lipinski any longer by replying to him on
this matter. He really seems to like the metaphorical "sound of his own
voice" way too much.

~Natasha