From:
Carrie Paps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:16:28 -0500
Anne,

I know Amy personally.  I have two shelter ferrets from her.  They were
"dumped" on her one week before her planned move.  She made arrangements
with another shelter to take them in, one was in need of an operation.  I
instead took in both ferrets at no charge from her, I also have two ferrets
from here that are retired breeders.  I can tell you, she worked long and
hard to care for shelter ferrets along with her breeders.  The vet bill was
well over $1,000 US dollars (the vet is also my vet and I can tell you, he
is a saint) and she worked very hard to lower it to the remaining amount.

While you criticize her for continuing her breeding overseas, you do not
know her or the full story.  Amy is dedicated to care and love of ferrets,
this is not a money business for her.  I have seen her cry when one of
babys are adopted, she truly loves ferrets.

I myself have been in a horrible position recently, two of my ferrets
needed surgery, my husband is very ill and not able to work, I have had to
file bankruptcy and can barely hang on somedays.  My husband and I have
gone without in order for our "kids" to be fed and cared for.  The vet was
kind enough to lower the cost of both operations by almost $700, then when
Pip ripped his stitches out on Halloween morning (a Sunday), he was able to
get the other vet in to put Pip back together again.  When we came to pick
up Pip two days later, there was no charge for the emergency visit.  Some
WONDERFUL people from the FML mailed in donations to the vet to help us pay
for the bills.  We still owe some money but I'm working as much as I can to
pay this off on my own.

This vet also gave Amy wonderful help in caring for her shelters,
discounted prices with the same loving care he gives all his animals.

I'm not arguing that you don't have a right to free speech, but maybe
before you jump to conclusions you should know a little bit more about the
situation.

As for the remaining vet bill, I hope people out there will help.  Not just
for Amy but for the fact that he is a wonderful vet that does all he can
for the animals in his care, regardless of the owners ability to pay at the
time of treatment.

Carrie and her 11 furkids.

P.S. For anyone interested, hubby is still not working, we just started
with a new doctor on Saturday and I have hope that this year will be much
better.  I'm thankful for all that I have though, all my wonderful furkids,
Pip with his hair, Angel with her tail.  I'm thankful for all the truly
wonderful people who have touched my life in so many ways.  I hope everyone
knows how special these people are, they are touched by an Angel.