From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 10:12:59 -0800
Some thoughts about recent posts:

Ian - regarding the raisins:  You may want to cut down on the number of
raisins you are giving you critter.  Six raisins may be more than his
body can tolerate.  Probably 2 would be better.

Edward - regarding the sneezing ferret:  Was the ferret kept in cedar or
wood chips?  Those are known to cause allergic reactions and if you guy
is healthy, this may be the reason he's sneezing.

To the person who posted about the ferrets using the water dishes for
strange and unusual purposes:  Our shelter had a ferret that was pretty much
blind because of cataracts in both eyes.  He had an unusual habit - he
laid on his back and pushed his foot up against the water bottle spout.
Once the cup of his paw was full of water, he would put his foot to his
mouth and lick the water out! Funniest damn thing I had ever seen!

To anon on leaving ferrets alone: I've had 2 bad things happen when
ferrets were left alone with the cage in the room. One ferret got his
nail stuck when he was climbing on the cage and screamed and twisted
until we freed him.  Another ferret started screaming bloody murder and I
understood once I freed him - he had gotten his sheath stuck on the
corner!

My $.02 on vaccinations:
1.  All of my healthy ferrets get rabies shots. We made our pilgrimage on
2/3 to the vet with 11 ferrets and 10 were able to get shots. We've never
had a reaction to Imrab (yet.) My understanding is that Oregon has a
policy that if a ferret has its rabies vaccination and then bites
someone, the most that can be done is to quarantine, not kill them.
2. Canine distemper shots with Fervac are given once a year also. The OFA
shelter has probably given 1000 shots with Fervac and had 1 reaction.  I
have that ferret.  He is my very best ferret goodwill ambassador.  So I
am faced with allowing the vet to try Galaxy-D or not giving him a shot.
Either option *may* kill him.
3. When I was going into the hospital for outpatient surgery, my doctor
gave me a shot of Vitamin K to stem any bleeding. The surgery was
postponed 1 week, and when I went back for the pre-op visit, I was given
another shot of Vitamin K. About 15 seconds later, I felt light-headed, I
saw stars, I was getting tunnel vision, and I had a crushing sensation in
my chest. The last thing I remember was yelling, "Doctor, help!" as I hit
the floor. They were able to revive me. :)  The drug books said, "no
severe or life-threatning reactions expected." Hummm. Bottom line - it's
probably a good practice to stay at your vet anytime your ferret gets a
shot. Reactions normally occur sometime after the initial sensitivity
i.e. on the 2nd or later shot.

        -Carla