From:
Melanie Suzanne Pacella <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 1995 13:17:43 EDT
I have been taking my ferrets to a vet here in Frostburg,Md. and today I brought
Maggie (3 yr. old female) in for her annual shots. I thought that she had been
getting the Fromm-D distemper vaccine, however, it was actually Smith/Kline/
Beecha distemper vaccine that they were giving her. Needless to say, I was
surprised and concerned at the same time. The vet doesn't know a whole lot
about ferrets, but does know the basics so my question here is this: Is this
distemper vaccine okay to use or should they be using either Fromm-D or Fervac-D
annually? Please do respond ASAP because if my little guys got canine distemper
I would be miserable plus if this is inappropriate I would like to mention it
to the vet for future reference.

Speaking of Vets, I am moving to Aberdeen,Md. soon and would like to know if
anyone could recommend a knowledgeable (with regard to ferrets) vet. in the
area. I would greatly appreciate that information also.

One more thing to mention: I switched the ferrets food from a cheapo kitty
food to Totally Ferret and it has worked wonders for their coats. Their
coats were sort of dull and now they are soft and shiny...this stuff is good!
Maggie has gained a bit of weight though and is at about 2lbs. Gizmo, hasn't
gained weight but has lost a bit since December (his last vet.visit) and went
from 2.15 lbs. to 2.05 lbs. Maggie is the pig in the family though so her
weight gain doesn't bother me....but when is a ferret considered overweight?
Maggie was weighted last May and was 1.50 lbs and now weighs 2.0 lbs. I
attributed this to the Totally Ferret food, but then again- Gizmo has lost
weight. Well, any input about any of this would be helpful.
Thanks,
Melanie and the fuzzballs (Maggie and Gizmo)