From:
Ruth Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2011 13:34:36 +0000
I've just been doing some general reading around the links between
coat/skin colour genes and health and found out that mutations in the
myo 5a (myo Va) gene are associated with silvering and other colour
dilutions. Also, it seems that a 'double dose' of these mutations is
linked to lethal conditions in mice, humans (Griscelli syndrome) and
horses (lethal lavender coat syndrome).

This has left me wondering if silver ferrets have been tested for
mutations in the myo 5a gene, and, if yes, were mutations in this
gene found?