From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 17:58:15 -0500
Like most shelters, I have seen my share of serious biters; from the
over-exhuberant, non- or poorly socialized ferret, who doesn't realize that
his/her bites are causing pain to their humans; to the seriously abused fear
biters.  The treatment all receive is the same.  The ferret is scruffed and
told in a firm, not loud voice "No Bite." The ferret is immediately offered
a treat of Ferretone, while being gently stroked and spoken to in a calm,
soothing voice.  Of course, this method can take some time with the
seriously abused fear biters.  But, I find that understandable.  Their
experience has been limited to abuse and cruelty.  It takes time for them
to learn that human hands can also dispense love and kindness.  I am a firm
believer that the hands that provide care are never used to deliver harm,
cruelty, or injury.

F. Scott Giarrocco
Jopal Ferret Haven
Rehabilitation Shelter