From:
Purple Cow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 23:16:43 -0500
Earlier this evening as I was getting my two ferrets ready to go back in
their cage I happened to scoop up my little girl, Bear, and flip her over
on her back in my arms.  I was shocked to discover she has a giant lump on
her back end, near her tail.  It's a bit larger than the size of a marble
and feels very solid to the touch.  One area of it is very red and looks
almost like a pimple.  It doesn't seem to fit the descriptions of basal
tumors or mast cell tumors that I've read so I'm wondering if it could be
either a cyst or possibly a bug bite.  Our other ferret has a small rash
on his back (almost healed after being washed daily for a few days with
antibacterial soap) and we've found several spiders in the house lately.
If it is some sort of tumor or cyst, is surgery the only option?  How soon
would it need to be removed?  And approximately how much would this type
of surgery cost?  (We are unfortunately not made of money.)  If it is a
bug bite what can we do to help it heal?  What other possibilities are
there for this lump?  I've posted a picture of the affected area at
http://www.totalwaste.net/ferret

Thank you for any information you can give me.

Liz