From:
"K. Sherman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:19:29 +0100
Cindee,

I also am having a problem with a ferret that has a spinal injury.  Casper
has been dragging his right rear foot when he walks for the past week or so.
My husband and I both looked on him and didn't see any problem with his feet
or muscles.  He also seemed to be in no pain.  So we didn't think he had
jumped off something and hurt himself.

We took Casper to Dr. Freiberg last Saturday and we were told that Casper
had twisted his back, pro-lapsing a vertebrae and pinching the nerve,
probably when he was fighting with the foster ferret we're keeping for the
rescue.  The vet said that it didn't look like Casper would have any lasting
neurological damage, but only time would tell.

Casper was given a shot of cortisone to help bring down the swelling and we
were told to watch him.  Casper is still dragging his foot but is mobile.
He only really seems to have slippage problems when walking on the tile
floors.  He walks on his knuckles across the carpet and get much better
traction.

I also would love to hear from anyone that has experienced this in a
ferret. Hugs and kisses to Huck - I hope you get better little guy!

Happy ferreting!

Susie