From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:45:52 CST6CDT
Gizzie -Gizzie's check up went well.  His prostate has decreased 1/4 - 1/3
and is soft and pliable instead of rock hard.  The lump is a hematoma.  He
lost 41 grams so that wasn't good.  When he started out he was 4.4 pounds
and is now about 2 3/4.  He was overweight but this is a little more loss
than I wanted to see.  He is eating well though and I'll up his recipe
supplement.  He eats it just fine if I hold him up to the platter but won't
if I put him down on the floor to eat.  He is peeing a little puddle where
before it was a dribble.  We don't know if it is the Lysodren or the
Pros-Actin (herbal) working so he is on both.

Dr. Snyder said he felt the adrenals with his finger as far as he could and
because they didn't feel abnormal and we had no idea it could be related he
didn't see a reason to cut him further up and cause more stress to Gizzie
Weasel.  He still is frustrated we didn't have that info before.

When we got there I told him Gizzie had lost several stitches and has healed
almost completely and it's only been 1 week.  I asked if the bulge could be
that the inside stitches came out and he said something or other 4 and
should have done 6.  Then he told me he used this new cardiac thread that is
treated with teflon and did I know what that means.  Of course I said no but
Nancy popped up with it doesn't stick and then those two had a good laugh as
I looked on in slight confusion till it hit me that he was teasing me yet
again.  :-)

Gizzie is rejecting the stitches and that is why they are coming out.  Odd
though how quickly he is healing.  It is truly amazing.  You could never
tell it was only a week ago he had surgery.  He looks so healed.  I'm
amazed.  As many surgeries as I've seen I have never seen a ferret heal so
quickly.  At this rate I won't have to remove ANY stitches, they'll all come
out on their own in the next few days.

Homes -Two calls last night.  One lady wants to turn in 5 ferrets between
the ages of 4-6 1/2 ASAP.  She just divorced and has a 4 year old daughter
with a medical problem and doesnt' have time for the ferrets and can't
afford them now.  She's had all but one since they were babies.  (sigh) I
don't know if we'll find a foster home for the five, that is so many.  I may
have to break down and take them.  Her other thought was to have them put
down.  I won't let that happen.  We still have diarrhea in at least 1
ferret.  Rikki.  I've got her on Kao but this darn ECE has to run its
course.  Any foster homes out there in our area willing to take on 5 older
ferrets till mid September????

Pratt -The other call was from a member in Pratt Kansas that bought a ferret
in Great Bend.  From the symptoms it sounds like ECE so anyone in that area
please be aware.

Condolences to all who have lost their beloved fuzzies.  If you need a
shoulder....

Hugs to all.  tle (aka Sprite)