From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 10:06:00 EDT
Timing means so much in life.  We have had many recent ferret losses,
several hundred new FML members since I last ran this, and Kenneth Simpson
is looking for a research project.  It is also summer rerun season.  I
can't resist all these confluences.  Kenneth, if this is of interest,
welcome aboard.

Earlier this year I started a project gathering data on ferret lifespan and
causes of death from FML people.  I want to set up as large a database as
possible and graph the life curve with probabilities for attaining each age
group.  I could also break out causes of death by age and as a whole.  My
motivation is to provide hard data rather than the anecdotal evidence given
by books and other sources.  With close to 1300 people, many owing multiple
ferrets for many years, we have a potential sample group that has never been
possible before.

I have considerable data now, but can always use more to add meaning.  I
also made a mistake that I'd like to correct.  In a later query I began to
include live ferrets.  However, most people that sent in didn't give their
ferrets' ages (the request wasn't clear).  Since I am keying everything to
age, this number is vital.  If any of you would like to add this to your

The form to use for replies to the lifespan survey is:

A) Sex - male (1) or female (2)

B) Cause of Death - still alive (0), adrenal disease (1), insulanoma (2),
  lymphoma (3), cardiac (4), accidental (5), infectious disease (6), other (7)

C) Age at death or current age -  Give number (to nearest 1/4 year  e.g.,
   3.25 or 6.5)

D) Neutered/spayed - No (1), before 6 mos. (2), after 6 mos. (3)

E) Source -  Pet store (1), breeder (2), shelter (3), other (4)

Notes:  "B" - Primarily interested in medical causes for "other" (7),
specify  and new category will be started if the group is large enough.  If
death occurred from surgery or other treatment, give the code for the
underlying reason for the treatment.   "C" - give best estimate of age if
you are reasonably certain within a 1/4 yr.

d2, e1).  Send to <[log in to unmask]>.

The key to success is a large number of responses.  I have intentionally
kept the form simple in the hope that it will encourage your participation
(thanks to Anne Charbonneau).  If this goes well, this database can be built
upon to do more detailed studies of specific conditions.  Graphs of the
results as well as descriptive stats will be distributed when done (Ferret
Central and on our MA Ferret Web Page).  The next step is yours - please
take it!

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \