From:
Cris Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:05:25 +0000
>*snip* "No honest person would have a problem with proper licensing for
>ferret rescues, ferret charities  *snip*

My problem is that registration will invariably involve a fee.  Most
people giving to charity expect 100% of the money to go towards the aims
of the Charity, NOT to be paid out to some damned civil servant who
probably knows little or nothing about Ferrets.  In this age of "cut
to the bone" public finances there is no chance of this being a local
government function

I wonder at the blind obsession some people have with licencing, and
the similar blindness with which they refuse to see that a regulatory
framework such as they suggest would end up being paid for by the very
donations that they claim to be seeking to protect, How does a licence
help animals in a rescue centre when the annual costs of regulation and
licencing eat into money that was donated for, and would be better spent
on the care of the animals there?

And please dont tell me that registered charities are so all fired
wonderful, when you consider that the CPL pulled out of this county
over 12 months ago and despite saying they would reform the local group
"within a few months", the welfare of cats is now in the hands of several
local independent and unregistered groups.  At least the food donated
through dump bins locally goes to "distressed" animals locally rather
than being swallowed up in some central office and redirected elsewhere.

Personally Im more likely to give to a local welfare than a national
charity, I donate to the upkeep of homeless animals, not the offices and
salaries of damned administrators.  I feel that the "honesty" point is a
slur on any member of the list who would query the need for bureaucracy,
and seems very much in keeping with the RSPCA line of "Dont question what
we say", but as a questioner, I resent the implication that I may be
dishonest.

Our thoughts to those with sick or angelled sock stashers
Cris Page, Skweek and Rhoobarb

In loving Memory of...
Bubbles (Warweezil) First Ferret par excellence, leader of the Furkidz
Custard (Cussieangelweezil) Twin Sister of Rhoobarb
Forever in my heart