Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:33:59 -0500
Acute (sudden) kidney failure has been seen in pets who had such
products. (Some other things around the home which can and have causes
acute kidney failure in ferrets, dogs and cats are aloe, raisins,
currants, and grapes.

It is NOT known what the actual causes of kidney failure is from the
jerkies (though with some of the residual antibiotics found being of
ones considered too dangerous to have in the U.S., maybe further study
coming?) Nor is it known why grapes, raisins, and currants can do that
in sufficient quantities (which can be as few as something like 7 in
some ferrets so genetics in Carnivora might play a role) despite many
possible contributing factors having been studied so far. Whether there
are any possible overlapping factors, I do not know, nor whether the
nature of the acute kidney failures in the two categories are similar
in presentation or in study. I can not recall offhand if a mechanism
for why ingesting aloe in sufficient quantity can cause sudden kidney
failure in Carnivores.

Here is info from Sept 2012 at the FDA's veterinary site on the
problems from the jerky made in China and the jerky with ingredients
from China and remember that in such toxicity situations what affects
dogs and cats often also affects ferrets though with ferrets people too
often do not do follow-up so data is too often lacking on them:
<http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ProductSafetyInformation/ucm319463.htm>

Company's Press Release for the current recall:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm335621.htm

Press Release:

Recall -- Firm Press Release

FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market
withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the
media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the
product or the company.

Milo's Kitchen® Voluntarily Recalls Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers
Home-style Dog Treats

Contact: Consumer: 1-877-228-6493

Media: Chrissy Trampedach 415-247-3420 [log in to unmask]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - January 9, 2013 - Milo's Kitchen® today
announced that it is voluntarily recalling its Chicken Jerky and
Chicken Grillers home-style dog treats from retailer shelves
nationally. No other Milo's Kitchen® products are affected.

On Monday, New York State's Department of Agriculture informed the U.S.
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Company that trace amounts
of residual antibiotics had been found in several lots of Milo's
Kitchen® Chicken Jerky. After consultation with the New York Department
of Agriculture and FDA, the company decided to voluntarily recall
Milo's Kitchen® Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers, which are both
sourced from the same chicken suppliers.

The use of antibiotics to keep chickens healthy and disease-free while
raising them is standard practice in poultry production for both human
and pet food. However, the antibiotics found in the products were
unapproved and should not be present in the final food product.

Milo's Kitchen® has a comprehensive safety testing program in place for
its products from procurement through manufacturing and distribution.
Part of that program involves extensive testing for a wide range of
substances commonly used to ensure the health of chickens. However,
Milo's Kitchen® did not test for all of the specific antibiotics found
by the New York Department of Agriculture.

"Pet safety and consumer confidence in our products are our top
priorities," said Rob Leibowitz, general manager, Pet Products. "While
there is no known health risk, the presence of even trace amounts of
these antibiotics does not meet our high quality standards. Therefore,
today we decided to recall both products and asked retailers to remove
the products from their shelves.

"Consumers who discard the treats will receive a full refund," said
Leibowitz. "We are committed to Milo's Kitchen® and stand by our
guarantee of complete consumer satisfaction."

Consumers with questions about Milo's Kitchen products can get further
information at 1-877-228-6493.

Sukie (not a vet)  Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/