From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 13:12:33 -0400
It is with a heavy heart we all say farewell to the "Amazing McKenzie
FerretWise"  The gentle man of silver mitt graced the doorways (the first
time) of Ferret Wise in 1995, a toss up ferret from Burlington ,VT.  We
found placement with a family and 18 year old shortly after-- 30 days later
they returned him for refund because the daughter ( who supposedly knew
ferrets from working at pets store & volunteering at local shelter) was
afraid when he war danced - and felt she was being attacked.  A somewhat
depressed boy now - he was then placed in a second adoptive situation with
a feline loving person who made visits more than 3 times to the shelter.
Later we would find this was not such a wonderful placement- he was being
fed jelly beans, was allowed to drink cleaning solvents and become ill,
etc.  We were dismayed at the lack of care or lack of interest poor
McKenzie would survive.

Finally several years later a vet called- McKenzie had been dropped off and
a disposal order issued when tests revealed surgery warranted for stomach
mass.  The vet knew ( microchip ID) he was ours - McKenzie returned home.
We were elated this boy hang in long enough to find his way home.  McKenzie
stayed at Ferret Wise ate, and healed severe stomach ulcers then went into
permanent foster care.  He started to thrive, then -- the foster home was
lost-- family tragedy robbed him of hi comfort zone.  Hospice Mom Mary S
stepped in - and McKenzie was transferred to her care.  His medical care
administered by Dr. Lisa who oversaw other hospice ferrets too!  Mckenzie -
the gentle lad who never tired of bestowing loving kisses was home - for
good!

It was about 8 months later after regaining weight and a wonderful coat
that McKenzie started to fail-- tests revealed a nasty hairball and surgery
was performed .  McKenzie thrived a full big boy with gorgeous coat who
loved all and still bestowed kisses on all who would allow!  Age would soon
show up first in a cataract, ( never the less in a frolic event that summer
he would place in the top ten ) then later in insulinoma - but McKenzie
still rallied -- "never say die" - must have been his motto.  We joked that
he had more lives than a cat-- and through the pain, neglect of it all- he
loved people, not a harmful bone in that precious boys body.  Last week
McKenzie was displaying unusual seizure episodes, not typical low blood
sugar symptoms.  He had xrays which showed a heart condition.  These
episodes continued, though he was started on digoxin (sp?) .  On Thursday
he spent the day at the vets -- and it was thought he expired in her arms
at 10:30 AM -- she laid him on the table- no heartbeat.  The a moment
later- one breath, then another-- McKenzie wasn't giving it up-- he was not
ready !  McKenzie came home on Thursday, Friday found him alright until the
wee hours on Sat AM.  It was time- the heart was giving him too much pain-
hospice Mom Mary administered oral morphine which provided about 50
minutes of relief then again the pan returned.  This was too much and the
determination was made to spare him more pain in the end.  McKenzie's final
curtain call was at 3 AM, September 30th.  He is greatly missed by hospice
Mom Mary who cuddled, held , fed and nursed him -- and is missing those
'Kenzie kisses.  He is missed as well by all the Ferret Wise folks who were
lucky enough to share his company, hugs, kisses and cuddles.  His space
will never be filled... our amazing little man..... will not be forgotten.

please visit our site at:
www.ferretwise.org