From:
Rob McNish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 11:06:55 -0500
Dear FMLers,

So many of you are responding to Kodo's plight, I thought you might like a
bit of background.

The bill legaizing ferrets in the State of Michigan was *intended* to give
ferrets the same protection as dogs and cats, according to the ferret people
who drafted the bill.  Imagine our suprise when the Dept.  of Public Health
began lopping the heads off our pets without any waiting period or legal
recourse.  Kodo is not an isolated incident, many people in Michigan have
been deprived of their fuzzies, including some of the top breeders.
Usually, the unfortunate ferret is killed within hours of confiscation.
Kodo's stay of execution is a first and it gives us a real chance to effect
change as well as save a ferret.

The Great Lakes Ferret Association, of which I am a member, established a
legal fund to fight this unfair policy shortly after the legalization bill
was passed.  Our legal fund has been small but growing and we have a lawyer
on retainer, who is currently working with Kodo's owner according to reports
I have seen.  This is the first serious test case for ferret rights in
Michigan, so you can see how important it is to win.  But it will take money
(you knew this was coming!).  The legal fund cannot possibly finance this
court battle at present.  I urge all ferret owners to contribute to the GLFA
Legal Fund or directly to Bob Jacobs at the addresses posted in the past
several newsletters.  We need to fight and WIN NOW!!

Rob McNish and the gang at McFerret Acres