Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 19:23:22 EST
comments on "Why Do Shelter Operators Do It." Cindy was right on target
and it touched me deeply.  I've been caring for rescued ferrets for 10
years and wouldn't trade my hectic life for anyone else's.  The work
is tough (I'm always tired), financially draining (I have bills I can't
pay and my vet gets more of my paycheck than I do), with no time for
socializing (haven't seen a movie in 10 years or had a date for as long)
but coming home from work to my 16 ferrets (I'm currently giving 23 doses
of meds a day and handfeeding 8) and 2 cats is worth all the sacrifices I
make.  Oh, and I just spent the last year writing a remembrance book
about ferrets in my spare time.

My adult children don't understand what I do or why I do it, neither do
my co-workers, but I know other ferret people do.  I know I am making a
difference in the world in my own small way--it's very rewarding to know
that I'm helping as many ferrets as I possibly can.  Ask yourself what
you have done with your life that will have made a difference when you're
gone?

www.ferretsandfriends