From:
Jennifer Coyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 12:56:37 -0700
>>So I took Ona to the vet.  We noticed she looked like she was loosing
>>weight, her poop was a greenish brown, and she started walking a little
>>weird.  The vet said since the last time we were there for shots, she's
>>only lost 3 oz. and she has a fever of 103.<

>Normal body temperature for a ferret is between 100 and 104 F.  A
>temperature of 103 is not that unusual.  I'm surprised that the vet would
>prescribe a "strong antibiotic" in that case unless there were some other
>observations.  I don't want to second guess your vet - I'm not one, and
>haven't even seen Ona, but is you vet ferret knowledgeable?  Maybe a second
>opinion might be in order.

First off, a "normal" body temperature does not typically range from 100 to
104, the HEALTHY norms are from 101 to 103.  104 is considered very
borderline; an extremely high normal if that.  Also considering that Ona has
greenish-brown feces and is having problems with her equilibrium, it is
expected for any ferret-knowledgeable veterinarian to prescribe an
anti-biotic.  And since you have admitted that you are not an animal doctor,
please do not try to determine what is a strong dosage of anti-biotic.  I am
not a vet either, but I am a Certified Veterinary Technician.  I know that a
ferret with Ona's symptoms came into our hospital, especiallu with weight
loss, even as insignificant as it may seem, our very ferret-knowledgeable
doctor would have done the same.  It is possible that Ona could have the
early stages of ECE and that is a very serious illness.  Yes, younger
ferrets seem to usually do fine, but many older ferrets have died from ECE.
I am not trying to offend anyone, but just would like people to understand
that veterinarians go to college for for a minimum of 7 years, the same
amount of time as a human doctor, and should get more credit, instead of
being second-guessed by pet-owners.  The majority of them are there only to
help you and your loved pet, definitely not for the money, like many human
doctors.  Because, as everyone should be informed, veterinarians do not make
a lot of money...they have chosen their profession because of their love for
animals and their good health.  It may seem when getting the bill after a
vet visit that it's very expensive, but you have to consider costs for
equiptment and supplies, and the costs of salaries of receptionists,
assistants and technicians.  Also, try comparing the cost of a vet visit and
the cost of a trip to your doctor or a hospital.  Anyhoo, didn't mean to get
too carried away, I just want people out there to appreciate their fuzzy vet
and give them much-deserved credit for their skills.

Thanks.

Jennifer M. Coyer CVT
Fred, Faya and Zero the Fuzzbunch.