From:
Max Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:05:21 +0200
I've been subscribing to the FML for about a year now and this my first
posting.  I'm hoping somebody may be able to help with a problem - sorry
if the information is somewhat incomplete, but this concerns a ferret
belonging to a friend of mine so I don't have the complet medical history.

Bonny is a 2 year old spayed jill with a healthy weight of about 750 g.
Early this year she became very feverish with the usual associated loss
of appetite etc. and went down quite rapidly to around 500g.  A blood
sample was done, she was given the usual medication and things improved.
The blood values showed, however, that something wasn't quite right, and a
further check -up showed that something in the abdominal region was very
enlarged.  Surgery followed and the spleen proved to be about 4 times as
large as normal.  It was removed and about 10 days later she was raring
to go - appetite back to normal, playing etc., her weight went back up to
about 600g.  Then she took a turn for the worse; fever, weight loss etc.
Several types of antibiotics were prescribed, none of them worked.  She is
now back to around 500g and is extremely lethargic.  However, when she is
awake then she eats and drinks continually - just doesn't gain any weight.
A recent blood test showed an extremely low haemoglobin value (her owner
doesn't know the exact value) and her immune system is not functioning
properly (I believe this is common problem after removal of the spleen,
which governs the lymphatic system).

We live in Germany and there is very little medical ferret literature
available.  I have most of the american and english books including
Hillyer / Quesenbury, and it would seem that maybe a blood transfusion
might be Bonny's best chance.  Does anyone have experience of this, or
perhaps another suggestion as to how we can help her as soon as possible?
As the antibiotics weren't helping she stopped getting them - just seems
to be further, unnecessary stress for this already very weak animal.

If anyone can help but needs more specific information, I will try and
get it for you.

Many thanks,
Max