Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:20:58 EST
>Nikki - I would have bet my house when I saw yesterday's post with the
>general statement about not wanting law to restrict your pet ownership
>that you were a dog breeder. Been around that community and there's a
>whole of talk but no walk. Minn and NE laws won't restrict small show
>breeders. Its still being fought. AKC is a for profit organization.
>I've met one halfway decent breeder who shows and breeds a litter
>every few years. She ran a large breed rescue org in Michigan for her
>breed for years. Every other dog breeder, including the "good" ones
>who say all the right things - well if their lips are moving their
>lying. And so animals suffer because they don't want any restrictions -
>not even ones that won't affect them - or at least won't affect them
>if they are as pure as they say they are. And I personally hate the
>whole property thing.

How long have you been involved in dogs, showing, training,
performance, breeding or rescue? Myself have met a lot of wonderful,
dedicated dog breeders. I have been involved in the dog scene for
15 years now I think and I have met hundreds of people. I am a
professional trainer and work at a dog place, volunteer to teach 4H
classes, have volunteered to teach free classes at a shelter, show my
dogs in conformation/obedience/agility, occasionally breed my dogs,
am a member of a local all-breed club, attend another private club,
have attended my breed's National almost yearly for several times
(once flying to Seattle for it), have been to numerous training
seminars...I could go on but I won't :)

The restrictive laws are the result of AR pushing for bans on breeding
and ownership little by little, so no I won't support them. I feel they
are taking away my rights and will do more harm then good to purebred
dogs. Even if the current law in question wouldn't restrict small
breeders (and I doubt that it really is worded that way) it would
open the door for further restrictions which would.

This is a good two part article on how the AR movement is having an
effect on purebred dogs. The charts are hard to see but my breed is
one of the ones listed:

<http://www.caninechronicle.com/Features/Battaglia_06/battaglia_506.html>

<http://www.caninechronicle.com/Features/Battaglia_06/battaglia_606.html>

Nikki