From:
Denise Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 01:31:15 CDT
*****Hello All*****
I would like to send my prayers to all the beautiful little fuzzies that
have entered the Rainbow Bridge.  And to all the Mommies & Daddies that
have cared for them...

As a regular reader and sometimes I try tapping at the keys.  I felt the
need to write to all.  So I hope I don't put you all to sleep.....

In 1968, living in England, I could recall how many steps it took to walk
from our school to our neighbors house, some 2,300 or so steps.  I would
think of just what I would do when I got there.  My neighbor an elderly
gentleman Mr.Toby lived at a nursing home next to our home.  He kept in his
small room a sable coloured ferret name "Sugar".  His only companion since
his wife Sarah had passed away.  He never really talked with any of the
people at the home.  For most of them did not like his ferret.  But he
would let me in a to play with Sugar.  I alway's dreamed of one day owning
a pet.  Being military we seem never to stay put to long in one place to
even have roots more or less a pet.  Daily I counted my steps to be with
Sugar.  I would clean her cage,water,feed & play with her.  Kiss her on the
head then hand her back to Mr Toby.  Slowly I walked back to my house,
turning back every few steps.  Hoping to catch one last look at Sugar and
Mr. Toby.

I was celebrating my twelve birthday.  Not have been living in one place
to long, I had few friends.  I asked Mr. Toby and Sugar to join with me
my last year as a child.  For the next year, I will be a teenager and be
grown.  My mother bake a smaller cake just for Sugar.  As I open each
gift,I was ever so grateful.  Mr. Toby turn to me and said, I didn't wrap
your gift; Because I wouldn't be able to keep it in papers.  I didn't
expect a gift, because I knew Mr. Toby couldn't afford one.  He slowing
kissed Sugar on the head and layed her in my lap.  With all the brightly
coloured paper and dolls with the fancy dresses and bows.  Nothing could
have been greater than the touch of Sugar's little cold nose.  Sugar was Mr
Toby only companion, I could not take her from him.  I remember his eyes as
he slowly walked away, And I could here him say, No Sugar is here to stay.
Then he walked and never turned back.

I wrapped Sugar in a blanket that I received for one of my new dolls.  And
carried her to my room.  I wondered all that night why Mr. Toby gave his
only companion to me.  Mr. Toby alway's kept to hisself and without Sugar
he was know alone.  Days passed and Mr. Toby would not answer or come
outside.  I wondered if Sugar thought he had lefted forgot she was lefted
behind.  I wrapped Sugar up in her blanket and thought I was just going be
a surprise visit for Mr. Toby.  When I had knocked on the door with a small
bow on Sugar, I thought then he would have to visit with us.  How could he
turned Little Sugar away.  Soon the lady that cared for Mr.Toby told me
that he had been real sick and had passed away that same day.

I wrapped Sugar up and carried her back inside.  This was the first time I
had to accept death in my life.  And I wonder if even little Sugar had
cried.  I held her close to me and promised I would alway's be bye her
side.

I remember Mr. Toby telling me Sugar was over seven years old.  The years
had past quickly.  She was wrapped in her doll blanket,and curled up in my
arms.  She looks so peaceful,what joy she has brought me as I watched her
fall to asleep.  I held my friend in my arms and said good bye.  Sugar die
in her sleep at age ten

Thirty years now have pass.  The other day when talking to one of my
friends,Donna she was so upset.  She told me it was going be so hard to say
goodbye.  Some of her ferrets were sick and some were old.  She loved her
ferrets,she has 17, they are her babies..  Her voice quivering, "She asked
me if it got any easier when we had to say goodbye." Seeing ferrets come in
sick or old.  I finally had to stop sit down on the floor and cry.  It
never gets easy I had to reply.  I wanted to hold all my ferrets, my friend
and tell them how I loved them and how I felted inside.  We all know that
one day we will all be saying goodbye and will never be easy.

Well I am Forty-three now,and I guess I am finally grown.  My dreams of
owning a pet has turned to many.  Most of my days are spend counting the
steps to pick up a ferret or two in need.  And to keep myself going
thinking of the Greatest Gift, I have ever received Mr. Toby's love and
Little Sugar.

I want to say to Donna and all my friends, The love we receive from these
Little Ones it never ends...

The Ferret Mama's Haven
The Ferret Mama
Denise Peddington Davis