From:
Debbie Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:58:48 -0500
Hi Kim,

I applaud your future efforts with the meet & greets, with one
exception. As your intention is to dispel ferret myths, I'd loose the
"exotics" portion of the event title.

The pet ferret as we know them have been domesticated for over 2000
years thus are no longer deserving the nomenclature of exotic. That is
one of the biggest myths surrounding these fella's and if associated
as *exotic* we do an injustice to our favorite mustelid. Plus by
classifying them as exotics we allow the Veterinarian profession (no,
not all but there are those that could/would if given the chance) to
tack on additional fees/costs for exams, vaccines, treatment, what
have you, for seeing an "exotic".

Further in your post you refer to the "unique" pet. That is more the
way I would portray the ferret. It conjures up more of a friendly,
happy critter that may not be the perfect pet for everyone, but if
you're lucky enough to be that type of person you are in for a real
treat!

I refer to them as domesticated house pets. Not; "hey, I got an empty
barn" pets. Another story for another time... but that's the pitfall
that could be associated in linking the word "ferret" with "exotic".

Not criticizing, just my opinion.

Your description of the events you've already hosted sound fantastic!
I love the additional safety of the harnesses & leads when out of the
play pen. I don't think there are too many folks on this list that
can't attest to the fact: Ferrets wiggle.

Respectfully,
Debbie Saunders
Director, Big Lick Ferret Shelter & Hospice
Roanoke, VA

http://www.biglickferretshelter.com
http://www.starcityferrets.mysite.com

"If you can't afford the Vet, you can't afford the pet."