From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:44:46 EST
I haven't experienced a ferret going deaf, but I'd think it would be
common sense that this is possible.  It is known that gentimycin, trauma,
illness, infection and mite infestation can cause deafness.  But what
about old age?  I have no idea.  We've all seen ferrets go blind with age
regardless if they have cateracts or not, so why can't the hearing go?

I wish I had experience with a ferret who was once hearing and then not
so I could help you.  I know that my ferret Smoke went blind and when he
did, it appeared traumatic to him.  He's never adjusted and has become
increasingly fearful.  I've met other ferrets that have been blind all,
or mostly all, of their lives and they act normal.  When a ferret is born
deaf, they really don't need much modification with their environment and
they are very happy as they do not know that they are deaf.  But this may
not be so in your case if it's a late onset sort of thing.  I'd think
great care should be taken not to startle your baby by always blowing on
the fur lightly before touching, giving visual cues before coming up on
him, and/or sending vibrations by tappnig the cage or stomping the foot
before coming up on him.  I would think a ferret like this would benefit
by other things as well.  Go to my site below and seek out my deaf ferret
pages in the index for ideas.  Better yet, join the deaf_ferrets group in
yahoo.  There are tons of files there to read, and the people there are
experienced and very sweet.

Anyone seen a ferret loose sense of smell?  Smoke has almost lost all
sense of smell as well.  Anything's possible.  I hope you get responses
and find helpful suggestions.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com