From:
Carol-Anne Peace Schutz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 20:12:27 -0600
Perhaps I'm the only one on this list who doesn't like Modern Ferret Mag.  I
looked at a copy of issue #1 and 2, and refused to buy them b/c the
graphics, design, and layout were so juvenile.  #3 I didn't see at all.  I
bought #4 to have something to read on a 2,000 mile Thanksgiving trip, and
they have changed their layout and design.  Compared w/ #1 and 2, it's much
better.  However, still quite obnoxious.  I was also disappointed w/ the
superficiality of the articles.  I wanted more detail, more clear
explanations, even though I know tons about ferrets, w/ all the basic info
memorized, synthesized and ready for recall at the drop of a ferret ;)

I also picked up Ferrets USA mag.  Much better than Mod. Ferret.
Professional layout, nice graphics, obviously have a pretty good graphic
designer on hand.  They have a problem w/ article headlines running into the
gutter, but oh well.  The articles were better, *and* they grouped ads w/
the relevant articles.  I.E., an article on cages was accompanied by several
ads for cages.  Nice touch.  Oh, and Ferrets USA has over 100 pages,
compared to the mere 48 of Mod.  Ferret.

There is also Critters, USA mag.  By the same people as Ferrets USA.  In
this mag, they fixed their gutter problem.  They talk about ferrets, but
superficially.  It's actually an overview of ferrets, hamsters, gerbils,
cavies, sugar gliders, etc.  Only drawings of sugar gliders, degus and
southern flying squirrels, though.  I was disappointed.

NaturalPet has, I think, a followup article on colloidal silver (or maybe
it's the same article someone kindly posted here on the FML).  They also
have food recipes for different problems.  I'm interested in the obesity
one, I have a fat cat (15 mo, 14.5 lbs), and a chubby ferret (bit of a
tire, lays on his back all the time - he's depressed, cagemate died).

Anyway.  If anyone would like subscription info, please e-mail me.

        Carol-Anne