Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 10:33:33 EDT
Nikita was diagnosed with adrenal tumors when she was 5 (1997).  We elected
to have the surgery in Feb.  She immediately got better, grew her hair
back & gained weight.  A year later (Jan 1998), she began showing symptoms
again (hair loss, swollen vulva, weight loss).  Due to her age, and the
fact that Rikki, our first ferret had died in her third surgery, we decided
not to treat her symptoms with surgery, or meds.  We decided to let her
live out whatever time she had left as a happy ferret.  By June 98 she had
lost all symptoms of adrenal problems & seemed perfectly healthy.  This
winter, again her vulva swelled, her hair fell out & she lost weight.  Now,
we are getting into spring, she is 8 years old, and her vulva has shrunk
almost back to normal size.  She is still half bald, & she sleeps alot, but
we are attributing that to old age more than anything.  The vet expected
her to survive 2 months, and so far, she has given us two years (after her
symptoms started for the second time).  He can't explain this.  Has anyone
else out their had similar experiences with a ferret after having a single
adrenal surgery?

Adrienne