From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:23:41 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Margie Szelmeczka <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet question
>I have a 2 year old ferret who appears to have lost use of rear legs.

Ferrets can get rear limb weakness due to any body wide illness (and low
blood sugar is the most common).  With the History of many ferrets with
diarrhea, I would think some type of gastro-enteritis would be the cause.
I would add pepto-bismol to the treatment regimen at the dose of 1 ml three
to four times daily.

>From:    "Carl.Baewer" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: *Ferret Hair Loss, Help*
>Need a little help here, my oldest ferret is experiencing hair (fur) loss,
>I did go over the Ferret FAQ,...

Hair loss can be due to a variety of reasons and an experienced ferret vet
can help determine the cause and appropriate treatment.  The extent of the
hair loss you describe makes me think of adrenal disease which will not be
cured or managed with a shampoo.

As for anti-bacterial shampoos, the reason they are hard to find is that
they are considered (for the effective ones) a medication and not
over-the-counter.  Spend the 30 dollars.

>From:    Sterling Killian <[log in to unmask]>
>Hi all I was hoping that some out there could send me some info on
>hypothryoid condition in ferrets.

Extremely rare is an understatement.  As far as I know and can research,
hypothyroidism has not been demostrated in a ferret by natural causes.  I
would look for other causes of being tubby.

>From:    John McBride <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: more update on Dizzy
>Well Dizzy will be home with me tomorrow.  All seems to be going really
>good.  The vet said he has not stopped playing all day.

Fatty livers are secondary to not eating or malabsorption.  Have you vet
treat your pet like a 'hepatic lipidosis' cat in terms of long term nursing
care.

>From:    Chris and Tara Palaski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A couple of questions.

The 1,2,3 shot series pertains to the initial series in a young (6-8 week)
ferret. After that, a single yearly vaccine suffices.

>From:    Barbara Gustafson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Surgery fails again.
>Well Tippie has just undergone her third surgery for adrenal, and once again
>as in the last operation nothing was found.
>She had her first surgery at age one, after complete hair loss on her tail.

At this point I would have your vet run the University of Tennessee's
adrenal panel to confirm if adrenal disease is present.  If yes, the best
option is surgically removing the affected tissue.  If your vet can find
the right adrenal gland, have it removed.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA