Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:28:08 -0400
First off, I would like to offer a personal THANK YOU to all the
thoughtful folks who either donated funds, or who purchased TOYS from
Robin Vieira to help offset the cost of Baby's transfusion. We were
able to get 2 done for him, and will more than likely have to get 2
more to get him over the hump.

By way of background, I offer this: I first noticed in him what
appeared to be typical insulinoma symptoms. I took him to his regular
vet for a checkup and CBC... all came back normal except that his red
blood cell count (RBC) was extremely low. Normal is around 40, his
was 14. He was exceedingly pale... gums and nose almost opaque. We
discussed a transfusion, but were hesitant because we didn't know
the cause of his condition. A bone marrow aspirate was ruled out
immediately due to prohibitive cost. Transfusions might or might not
help, but this was the only option I had. Prior to his first procedure.
Another RBC was done, and his count was down to 8 ... bottoming out for
sure. His first transfusion went proceedurally well... however 2.5 hrs
later, he had a minor reaction... a bit of vomiting that was treated -
by order of the vet - with Benadryl and prednisone. A short time later
he was fine, except that his catheter was causing considerable
discomfort.

The next day, prior to his second procedure, his RBC was back up to
15, and his color was improved ... much to my vet's surprise!!-- The
second procedure went exceedingly well, and thankfully the catheter
came out. Baby is due back again this Thursday for a checkup, RBC test,
and is scheduled for a third transfusion. His gum and nose color are
still slightly pink, but he is still weak... I am hopeful that this
second round will give him the boost he needs, but only time will
tell...!

I know times are difficult for all, and I have been out of work since
before Christmas so funds to help Baby are nearly exhausted... I can
only ask that if anyone out there can help in any way, either perhaps
buying toys from Robin, or perhaps a dollar or two here and there will
go a long way towards helping my kid..... I am grateful for everyone's
support and well wishes with this difficult situation, and will try to
keep you updated on Baby's progress (or lack thereof). THANK YOU AGAIN,
and I wish to remember to all: my beloved Marky, Ferris and my 11 year
old Maggie - all who run free together at the Bridge ( with the rest of
the Walsh Weasels who have left me) .

With sincerest regards,
Vikki and the Walsh Weasels