From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 09:19:40 -0500
We looked into Mission Fish last year, when someone suggested it to us.

In theory it sounded good--and it would help prevent fraud.

An organization had to be 501(c)(3) to apply.

Now my memory might not be dead on--but there were two reasons we chose
not to go with Mission Fish.

1. They only dispersed the funds every 2 or three months.  This means if
you have a little one in need of immediate surgery, the money will not be
available to you for quite a while.

2. If the shelter was not selling for ITSELF, a percentage was taken by
Mission Fish.  To me, this defeats the purpose of a 501(c)(3) just a bit.
A 501(c)(3) enables ALL the money received by the organization to go TO
THE ANIMALS!!!  The government does not tax this income .The idea of
anyone else taking a cut of this was unacceptable to us.

Our belief is that SOS is a better (respectable, reputable, honest)
option, although ZFS has not been a recipient of any funds from them.

Our best donations have come from people who have visited our facility --
or knew someone who had been here.

I would urge all of you out there to visit your nearest ferret shelter,
even if it isn`t close & involves a road trip.  Take a tour.  Meet some
of the babies there.  See what the operators deal with, day in & day out.
Check out the conditions--and see if this is something you could help
support a bit.  Send them even $5.  a month to help buy food.  Volunteer
once in a while, if you live close enough.  Speaking from experience, I
can tell you--it`s the little things that count.

Love, Zoo
www.zoosferretsanctuary.org