From:
"Glenn, Jenni, BMG - NY1540" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:49:17 -0500
Michelle Neal wrote:
>I came across this site on the net for adopting a ferret but I was shocked
>at the extreemly personal guestions I had to respond to even be considered!
>Questions regarding income, marital status, type of work , hours , type of
>dwelling ,how many children ect, ect, ect!!!

Please don't look negatively upon all ferret shelters because of this one
site on the internet that had a "formal" application posted.  I agree with
you that it's a bit ridiculous for a shelter to ask your income and marital
status...that is somewhat insulting and I don't blame you for getting angry.
But, I can tell you from experience, that adopting from a shelter is a
wonderful option that should not be passed over because of one shelter on
the net that asks too many personal questions.  I adopted two wonderful
ferrets from the Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Assoc. and the folks over there
couldn't be nicer or more accomodating.  Sure, I had to fill out forms and
sign adoption papers (which I was more than happy to do!), but they
certainly didn't ask me my marital status or income!!  Not even close!
Basically, shelters want to make sure that they are adopting ferrets out
into good homes.  They want to meet you, see if you bond with the ferrets,
see if the ferrets bond to you, make sure that you are ferret knowledgeable,
make sure that you will be able to spend enough time with your ferrets, take
care of them in the proper way, etc., etc., etc.  And, do you blame them?  I
think it's GREAT that the shelters provide a "screening process" for people
that want to adopt.  It just shows how much they love their ferrets and how
important it is to find the right home for each little one that they are
adopting out.  Unfortunately, it happens all to often that ferrets become
"impulse buys" and then they wind up sitting alone in a cage, day in and day
out, with no one to play with or love them.  It's a horrible way for them to
live.  It's obvious most pet stores don't care who purchases their ferrets,
as long as their money is good.  There is no "screening process" and that's
what leads to abandoned ferrets, unwanted ferrets, unloved ferrets and
shelter ferrets.  Many of the shelter ferrets are coming from homes where
people neglected them, ignored them, didn't have time for them, etc., etc.,
and the shelters just want to be certain that they aren't sending the little
guys (or girls!) into the same situation again.  Please consider adopting
from a shelter.  There are many fuzzies out there that need good, loving
homes.  Don't get me wrong...I'm not condemning all pet stores and I don't
want to get into that whole debate....but I wholeheartedly recommend
adopting from a shelter.

Jenni
Oso "Watch that first step...it's a doozy"
Ozzy and Zep "We're shelter ferrets and we rule!"    : )