Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 15:33:26 +0000
I was an avid clumping litter purchaser, and have used it for many years.
A few months ago I was introduced to wood pellets through the ferret foster
program I became a member to.  It was weird at first, as I didn't know how
to handle them but since my first awkward month, let me tell you about what
I have found about these wood pellets.

Firstly, the pellets are available through any fireplace dealer.  They are
primarily used as a way to start fireplace fires.  They look like core
samples broken up.  They are usually anywhere from 3/4" long to 1/4" long,
and under a 1/4' wide and are wood colored.

Secondly, they are cheap.  One average bag will last about 3 months for 9
ferrets..  time varies in accordance with how much you put in the pan, how
much you actually throw out when you clean the litter box, etc.

Thirdly, they control odor like you wouldn't believe!  This is the best
feature about them and the most surprising to me!  I would never have
believed it if I hadn't "smelled" it with my own nose!

Fourthly, they are cheap. $4 a bag.

Fifthly, I don't have as much residue tracked around the house as I did
with the clumping litter.  It is generally cleaner, and less dusty.

Sixthly, did I mention just how cheap they are?

I use two buckets to clean the litter pans... First I scoop out the pooped
on pellets.  Then, using the regular cat litter scoop, I shake through,
scoop by scoop, the loose broken down pellets, and put the whole and good
ones into the other bucket.  What I am left with is a pan full of sawdust.
This I throw into the second bucket.  After washing out the litter tray I
refill with the clean pellets I have retrieved from the first bucket.
Voila!

I have noticed that the litter pan itself, never gets as mucky as it did
with the scoopable litter.  The only problem now is that my cats don't like
the pellets at all.  They are so finicky.  I am presently trying the litter
pearls for my kitties but the ferrets love snorkeling through these weird
little balls.  They stick to anything wet but are supposedly non-toxic.
I am keeping a close eye on them all.  They cost close to $18 for a 4 lb.
bag... good for one cat for one month.  Expensive!

Yesterday's News is very similar, only it is made from newspaper.  The
pieces are dark grey, and much smaller, and the product is more expensive
but I don't have an exact price on them.

Some ferret owners prefer these products over the clumping litter because
of the possibility of respiratory problems.  In the many years I have
used this product, I have never had a ferret come down with respiratory
problems, and that is even with them snorkeling through the litter.  Some
ferret owners have had a connection made between the two.  In any case, I
would give them a try... it is well worth it.  Good luck,

Betty and Her Bur O'Fur Missing Squeegie