From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 15:44:01 -0400
From the FML:
>pets.com is offering prices on pet food and supplies that is below their
>cost.  They are selling these products at a loss.  We pay more for our
>Totally Ferret (which is for resale), than they are selling it for to the
>public on sale.  They are at war with the Internet pet stores, and regular
>pet stores to get as much market share as they possibly can, and with
>over $50,000,000 in capital raised in part from amazon.com, they will
>sell products below cost and do whatever is necessary to try to grow
>their mailing list, attempt to kill the independent retailer, and smaller
>companies until eliminated, and then their prices will rise.

I just have to point out that I was raised in a family business -- gems,
jewelry, and for a while (something like 50 years) things like china and
silverware as well.  This is exactly what happened with china, silver and
other luxury giftware.  Some large chains like Macy's started carrying this
stuff and used rockbottom prices till the competition stopped carrying
those things and then they drove the costs up through the roof, way higher
than they needed to cost.  The Ferret Store has been a real asset, with
quality products, a staff which actually cares about ferrets, and people
who LISTEN and take logical action when problems are found -- with product
design or whatever.  The Ferret Store also has a long history of helping
shelters.  Having it undermined for quick savings will only hurt us all in
the long run, plain and simple.  Besides, Amazon is possibly a house of
cards; have you looked at their debt load in comparison to their annual
profits?  If the reliable places get lost and then the challenger goes
under, too, then what?

Amy wrote:
>Does anyone else's ferret sleep with their eyes open?

Yep.  You think that's bad; I sometimes sleep with my eyes open.  Causes
horrible headaches so I'm glad that I don't seem to do it more than once
every two to four years.  I always wonder if the ferrets get headaches
from it.  Their eyes would dry out, too, wouldn't they?

Ah, I was behind the curve in finding out about Misty Ferret and that you
all knew.  That will teach me to not get on line just because of a measly,
highly active, boomer-banger thunderstorm stalled over us.  Take that,
Sukie!  And that!  And that!  Yipes!  How dare I repeat what the world
already knew?

Hey, Bill, you can pull what I sent on Misty; no problem with that and it's
no use repeating.  [OK. pulled the post.  BIG]

Ferrets are tuckered out now.  Haven't romped today and haven't wanted to;
staying up with a very active thunderstorm right after several extremely
active days has given them the yawns.