From:
Denise Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:02:52 CDT
******************A great big Hi to all today.  And a prayer for
    all the sick little fuzzies and their families.**********************

As I write this post I ITCH & ITCH &ITCH...We had this week taken in a
couple of puppies.  Normally we do not take any dogs, but these little
fellows were so cute.  And how could you turn down a cute face.  The first
day I noticed on one puppy small red spots and a few on the other.  I wash
the little fellows and placed them in a small playpen.  That nite I tried
rocking these poor little fellows since they were crying through the nite.
By the morning, I had noticed several red spots on myself.  It didn't take
long to figure out then this little guys had been exposed to poison ivy or
oak.  A quick trip to the vet confirmed my findings.  Yes it can spread
very quickly... Also to find that I myself was covered by noon.  Nothing
like itching in 100 degree weather.  A trip then to my doctor and being put
on prednisone, because the small red spots had turned to many.  That nite I
laid with fever & very sick and then on to the next day.**Having treated
the puppies & myself, I thought to myself I am so thankful I had someone
care for my ferrets.  I couldn't imagine a shelter full of red-spotted
fuzzies.  I now have probably a thousand or so red-spots to remind me.(Why
to quarantine even the cutest of pet.) Thank goodness I do, but sometimes
we fail to think of ourselves.  For the next couple of days I now have to
wear an apron & rubber gloves around my fuzzies till I know I can not
expose them.  And yes still ITCH..***** Alway's remember to first
quarantine each pet when they come in, and also wear gloves and protective
clothing.*****

From:
The "Itching Ferret Mama"
Denise Peddington Davis