From:
Cindy Scheidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:16:41 EDT
I would like to cross post this and list on FML.  We all do need to work
together to assist where possible.
Cindy Scheidt Katrina Rescue Effort - Can you help?

I have been contacted by so many people wanting to help with the victims
of Katrina.  I want to let everyone know that we are trying to organize
a network to help the ferrets that have been displaced.  The IFC, SOS
and FAA will work together to try to get ferrets to safety.  Because the
damage is so extensive, we will not be able to get in to the affected
areas, but by working with the professional organizations that are
already there, hopefully, we will be able to get the ferrets out and
into the hands of the people who can care for the best - us - the ferret
community!

We all know that ferrets have special needs and these needs will probably
not be met by the organizations doing the actual rescues!  We are in the
process of getting information to as many rescue organizations as
possible in hopes that as soon as ferrets arrive at the temporary
shelters set up all around the region, we will be contacted and be able
to go in and bring the ferrets out and into the hands of
ferret-knowledgeable people and safety.

If you want to help, here is what we need:

We need people to take in displaced ferrets.  We will need temporary
homes and quite possibly, permanent homes!  If you have place in your
heart and home for one more ferret - please, please contact Francine
Prager at [log in to unmask]

We also need shelters who may have room to house a couple more!  If you
are a shelter and would like to help, please contact Brenda Johnson at
We understand this will be an extra burden to your probably already
overcrowded shelter, but we are hoping to get as many private homes
lined up as possible so this will just be a temporary burden to you!

We need  food, bedding and supplies, please contact me, Judy Cooke at
The needs are extensive and the list of items we need is long!  We need
to get ferret supplies into the temporary shelters to help with immediate
needs.  We need care packages to go with the ferrets into their new
homes, and we need to support the shelters with food, bedding litter and
supplies!

If you would be able to transport a ferret, please contact the Ferrets
Across America at

We also need information!  There are many, many ferret people out there
and some have a very deep circle of contacts - if you know of someone
needing help, PLEASE, PLEASE let us know!

We still need funds - you can donate by giving to the FML 5000th,
Support Our Shelters, or the International Ferret Congress ELF Fund.

To donate:

To the FML 5000th:
Paypal to [log in to unmask]
Make a note that it is for the FML 5000th.

Check or money order made out to IFC to:

Judy Cooke,
110 Jer-Be-Lou Blvd,
Panacea, FL  32346

To Support Our Shelters: Paypal to

Check or money order made out to SOS to:

Judith White,
100 Walsh Road,
Lansdowne, PA  19050

To the IFC Emergency Love Fund: Paypal to

Check or money order to IFC to:

Linda Iroff,
46180 Butternut Ridge Road,
Oberlin, OH  44074

We know there are ferret people all over the country wanting to help!
What I would like to do at this time, is find out who would be available
to help in the future.  Let's face it, we live in a country where natural
and man-made disasters can and do occur.  We are laying the foundation
with Katrina that would potentially allow us to help ferrets in the
future!  But in order to help, the national organizations are going to
have to take us seriously.  We all know there is no one more capable of
taking care of ferrets than us!  We not only have some of the best vets
in the country teaching us how to care for our ferrets, we also have some
of the most devoted and dedicated people running shelters, raising funds
and giving support where it's needed!

It is entirely possible to work on getting a network set up now that can
and will help us in the future.  We need to organize and be ready to help
when called upon!  If you are interested in finding out more information
about forming a national emergency network, please contact Sukie at

If anyone has any information, any ideas or any questions, please contact
me!  Thank you!  Please feel free to cross-post this information!

Judy Cooke
Co-Director International Ferret  Congress
Support Our  Shelters