Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:34:54 -0400
Hello, Runny a ferret shelter for 8 plus years..I am still learning.

When you have that call on the spare of the moment "I have to find a home
for my ferret today..landlord says no ferrets"  Of course you want to be
there for the ferret...I made the mistake...(I think) of not looking the
ferret over REALLY well..I always check for fleas...but not for lumps &
bumps..should have know...the 2 tatoos on the ears usually mean..a
marshall ferret and watch out.  Anyhow I had to go by the vet and took
her in after seeing the "bump" that looked bad...he took it off and it
was a cancer cell.  Said he got it all.  I have started to call the lady
that brought her to my house, could use help paying this bill...but I
don't know if I should contact the owner...I think it would have been
wise to have called her when I noticed the bump the day after she came...
now I feel is not the time to call the lady..another downfall of running
a shelter..darn if you do and darn if you don't...I have now learned to
go over any future ferrets real WELL while the people are still at your
home with the ferret(s)let them know why their ferret is walking weird
and so on...looks like this would have been noticed by the previous
owner.

While I am writing...if anyone is reading this please think twice before
turning your ferret or ferrets into a shelter..try to find a quality home
for life...with someone trust worthy...shelters are there but should not
be abused.  Time after time I have had ferrets dropped off that are ready
to die because the owner does not want to deal with death.  One time a
lady's husband gave me 5.00 to take both ther ferrets off their hands.  I
have to take time from my personal ferrets to deal with this.  I love
ferrets but the people can be so uncaring...Most of the time I tell
people I am an emergency shelter only...I think this is not being
self-centered.

Debbie in Ohio