From:
Jalene Bowersmiph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 18:10:00 -0700
I have just recently subscribed to the FML and I am already greatful for
the insights on the mysterious ways the ferret brain seems to work.  I
first became aquainted with the wonderful world of ferrets when my
boyfriend adopted a wonderful little lady known as Fraya.  She was so
calm and sweet.  Never making a sound and never biting (unless really
pissed off) that sometimes you would forget that she was curled up in a
ball next to you.  Well, then we made the plunge and bought a second
ferret to give Fraya some excitement.  He was a cute little fella and
while in the pet store he would not seem to walk up from his nap. Well,
I would be suprised if Zonker has slept more then 24 hours in the last
yr. that we have had him.  We are still convinced that the pet store had
him drugged:). The fun started when Zonker and Fraya got together.  Those
two had an absolute ball togehter.  The best was seeing Fraya get fed up
with Zonker's "advances" on her and watch her chase him around the
apartment for a change.  Sadly, over the July 4th weekend Fraya died.
She was 6 or 7 years old, but I guess we just got so used to her we
thought she would never die. We came home and there she was. All of us
seem to be having a hard time dealing with it. Especally Zonker, who has
had Fraya for a constant playmate as long as he has been around. Lately,
he has been going around the apt. as if he were missing something and he
is intent on smelling the spot in which we found her body.  Is there such
a thing as ferret depression?  We have been thinking about puchasing
another ferret so that Zonker won't be so loney, but we are concerned about
how he would get along with another ferret.  Well, just wanted to let you
in on the background of a new member.  Any advice and consolation for Zonker
would be much appreciated.  Hoping to be a long time member.

Jay