From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:24:07 -0600
There is a myth floating around that people are allergic not to the ferrets
but to the things, such as dust, that the ferrets collect while doing what
they do.

This is a MYTH, it's UNTRUE, and it can be DANGEROUS.

While if a ferret gets into dust under the furniature, or into other things
that a human is allergic to it doesn't HELP, people CAN AND TRUELY be
allergic to ferrets.  Don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise.  There are
TESTS that can prove or disprove it...if you think you're allergic, or your
doctor tells you so, request that you be tested specifically for ferret.
My allergist is in another state and all it took was a blood draw where I
was and sent off.  Ferret is one of my *top three* allergins.  Not the dust
they collect under furniature...the *ferrets themselves*.  I had a custom
treatment added to my other allergy desensitization treatments and it means
I get to keep my ferrets...I was having problems breathing simply from
everyday handling, as well as welts.

Ferrets have long been touted as the pet to have if you're allergic to cats
and dogs.  It *seems* that fewer people are allergic to ferrets than to
dogs and cats, but allergies to the ferrets themselves DO EXIST.  Please
stop making things worse for those of us who do suffer by trying to imply,
or even say directly that they don't.  Leave the decision on if someone is
allergic up to the person, their doctor, and the tests that will show what
the body is reacting badly to.

If I seem overly passionate, don't expect an appology, I'm tired to death
of well-meaning but clueless people touting off that I'm not allergic to my
ferrets, that it's the dust in my house, or the detergent, or...fill in the
blank.  I've lived with allergies all my life, I know how to evaluate what
I'm possibly allergic to, and I had the TEST that SHOWS that I am allergic
to ferrets and that will show that others are allergic to ferrets as well,
if they well and truely are.

I've had my share of doctors who wouldn't know an allergy if it rose up and
stangled them, but that doen't mean that every doctor doesn't know what
they're doing and how to use the tools available to evaluate a paitent.  If
your doctor or allergist is giving you the runaround about testing, saying
there isn't one, etc. etc., feel free to contact me and I'll give you the
contact info for my allergist and they can try and find someone in your
area who *does* know what they're talking about.

Ferret allergies are real...it's not just the dust, folks.

Sue M.