From:
Sunshine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:50:05 -0800
Found out today Petco would pay for the initial vet checkup for our new
kit.  We took her in and here is what we were told.

She had a lump in her stomach which was not painful to the touch.  The lump
could either be a blockage or stool.  She was eating regular ferret food at
the vet's which was a good sign.  I checked her hydration yesterday and it
was fine.  The vet said she was dehydrated and I could tell because of what
the skin looked like when he scruffed her.  I asked the doc how long it
takes to get dehydrated and he said hours.  Why I asked is because
yesterday she was not dehydrated.  So they gave her fluids.

The doc wants to run these tests, which can be done one at a time.
Fecal Tests             $18.50
Blood Count             $24.00
Internal Organ Func Screen      $41
X-Rays with Barium      $95
Plus there might be the $27 Office Visit

The concern I have is most tests would run with office visit quite abit.
Keep in mind we have had the kit 13 days.  Even if we did one test at a
time something still could be wrong.  Consider Intestinal Blockage fees at
$500-$600.  Even tho we have had her a short time I just don't know what to
do.  Petco is giving me 4 days from today to bring her back and either get
my money back or get a different ferret.  I still believe she was 4 maybe
5 weeks old when they sold her.  Any suggestions or advice would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Debbie