Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:36:22 +0000
A number of you have written on the subject of how it is no harder to care
for a ferret than any other animal.  For me, the question of cleaning up
after them, or physical care is not the issue.  It has more to do with the
mental health of the ferret and whether or not the perspective new owner,
has what it takes to look after one of these special animals.  And yes,
they are special.

Recently, I received a call from a woman who was interested in obtaining
a ferret for her son.  She asked a few questions but I don't think she
realized that she was going to get such long answers.  I spoke with her
about 15 minutes, again and again I would talk about doing research on
ferrets and would direct her to the FML and get her son to do lots and lots
of reading.  Once I heard the phrase, "I don't think my son can wait that
long", I knew I had on the phone, a person who was not so much interested
in actually learning about ferrets and wanting to give them the best chance
possible, I saw a person who just wanted to fulfill her child's fantasy,
however temporary it might be.  I did not hear in her words anything that
gave me the indication that a ferret in her household would be given
anything more than basic care.  To me, if you want something badly enough,
you can wait.  You will do the research.

I made a judgment call upon her.  I found myself in essence trying to
change her mind from getting a ferret, for I knew in my heart that a ferret
brought into her home would end up at the shelter less than a year later.
That this ferret would be one that I would eventually adopt because this
ferret had behaviour problems, or was simply unwanted.

After years of hearing all sorts of absurd reasons for having ferrets (or
any animal for that matter) I find myself more in the position of wanting
potential caregivers to weigh their wants carefully.  It's just simply not
enough to empty the litter pan and to supply clean water and a bowl of
food, as well as clean bedding.  It is not enough to take them out of the
cage on occasion and pet them for a while and then put them back in.  It
has to do more with treating ferrets with respect and allowing them to be
what they are: ferrets.  This means allowing them to dig and to overturn
things; to sleep in areas of their choosing; to give them stimuli that is
not the day to day, same old toys and to make things exciting for them; to
give them things to climb; to give them love and attention; to truly allow
them the right to fulfill their ferret destiny's.  If you want me to
comfortably sell the idea of having a ferret to other people, you will have
to sell me first on the idea that what all these people want is to give
their ferrets the best that they can offer - which is more than cleaning
the litter pan.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur