From:
Judith Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 1996 14:36:31 EDT
I've bred a couple (anywhere from 1 to 3) litters of ferrets per year each
year since 1992, and no, I won't sell to or through pet shops.  I would
never presume to say all pet shops are bad, and I don't think it's a bad
thing to have a easily accessible, reasonably priced way to buy a ferret
that's already neutered/spayed.  HOWEVER, I do object to the ferrets mills
that produce the pet store ferrets.  Ethics aside, if they don't keep and
observe the breeding stock for their whole natural lives, how can they try
to weed out genetic defects or breed for extended longevity?

My kits have to be at least 12-14 weeks old before leaving Mom, be full on
solid chow, and have the 1st 2 dispemper shots.  They also come with a book
(Jeans' Practical Guide to Ferret Care,) and plenty of references to other
"ferret people," organizations, and supply sources.  I think selling any
young animal with anything less, espescially to a first-time owner,
constitutes unethical behavior toward the animal and a real disservice to
the consumer.  Last but not least, I sell my kits with a CONTRACT.  I call
the buyers several times after they go home with the ferret to see if there
are any problems, and I will always take a ferret back.

Since my breeding stock are also my good buddies, they get cradle- to-grave
care, and I want the same for their kits.  You can't have an animal be born
in your lap, check on it and clean up after it multiple times per day for 14
weeks and then not make the effort to "grill" each prosective buyer .  And
that is precisely what pet shop staff DON'T do.

So - I've gotten that off my chest, and all the other breeders I know follow
the same party line.

Today was a mating day here at Frettchenmeister Ferrets, so check back in 42
days for a birth announcement!

Cheers to all, ..and get your next ferret from a shelter!

 Judith Sanders