From:
Nona Langley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 07:10:02 +0800
>From:    Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Noodle - today's vet visit - questions
>The vet suspects pneumonia, hence Baytril.

Melissa, I don't know if this will help but it's something I read in the
South Australian Ferret Association's newsletter and was written by a vet
named John Lewington.

He says that ferrets can contract an infection of the yeast [sic]
"Cryptococcus neoformans", which leads to snuffling and sneezing.  Some
ferrets seem to have a chronic snuffling condition which has been linked to
another common germ called "Pseudomonas aeruginosa".

One of Lewington's ferrets apparently developed an infection and he thought
that the ferret caught the flu from him.  The ferret went on to develop neck
spasms and could not walk in a straight line, became progressively worse so
was finally put to sleep.  At the post mortem, it was discovered that the
ferret was suffering from fungal pneumonia caused by the yeast.

It seems that the yeast infection is not uncommon in cats and there is a
drug called Ketoconazole which is effective.  Lewington concludes that this
is a rare but nasty infection, probably contracted from bird droppings and
this should be considered especially when outdoor ferrets develop snuffles
and/or lethargy.

Perhaps it would be worth your while to ask your vet to check if this might
be the case with Noodle?

Best wishes and I hope Noodle gets better soon.

Nona
Phoenix Editing & Proofreading Services
PO Box 44
WESTMINSTER  WA  6061