Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:37:58 -0700
I have a ferret (Dakota) who seems to have repeated bouts of loose
stools. Sometimes he has green stools sometimes not and sometimes
normal. Along with these periods of loose stools he sometimes has
periods where he vomits and he is not nearly as active as normal. It
seems to run in a cycle where he is fine for a couple weeks or so and
then he has a week or two of runny and or green stools. We've had him
into the vet several times. His glucose is normal, we can't palpate
any masses nor can we see anything on ultrasound. He's had this cycle
for several months. We've had him on antibiotics for these symptoms and
he has gotten better but that may not have been due to the antibiotic
since this seems to be a cyclical problem.

After play time we give our ferrets a treat and put them back in their
cages and quite often Dakota will rub his face in the litter pan. I
find that this is one sign that a ferret is nauseated.

I'm not sure what is going on but I'm sure there is something that we
can't see or find that is not right.

Has anyone here seen these or similar symptoms? Does anyone have any
ideas on what's going on?

I would hate to do an exploratory surgery as the last ferret we had
that done to died after surgery.

Thank you

Mike