Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:14:29 -0400
Hi Everybody -

Here's my heartstopping ferret story for the week.  We went out to dinner
Sunday and we left in such a hurry that I accidentally left the bedroom
door open.  (The ferrets have the run of the house when we're home, and
occasionally when we're not, except for the bedrooms where we recently had
new carpeting installed).  When we got home, it looked like an earthquake
had struck.  My dresser had been knocked over.  It was on a slight incline,
and tipped when 5 of the drawers were pulled out.  Everything was out of
the drawers and all the figurines and the coffee cup from on top were
shattered.  There were three ferrets staring at me in guilty fear.  I
scooped them up and made my husband come up.  We lifted the shell, then
each drawer, dreading the little corpse we'd find, but miracle of miracles,
no one was under it.  I don't know how they did it - to knock it over
they'd of had to open the drawers, so someone would have had to have been
in the dresser when it fell.  I'm just so glad they were all alright.  The
dresser has been moved.  It's almost fallen over on me a couple of times
too.

I had a second, minor heart attack the next day with my first real bout of
dead ferret syndrome.  I've had mortally wounded and very sleepy ferret
syndrome, but this was new.  I naturally assumed undetected internal
injuries had done the little guy in, until he yawned.  Next time I'm going
to put lipstick and a wig on him and take pictures.  That'll teach him.

On keeping ferrets out from under couches: we used broadcloth and tack
boards from a carpeting store (for carpet installation) The tack boards
come with a ton of little nails already in them, so you just need to put
a couple big nails in to hold them in place against the broadcloth around
the edge of the couch's underside.  There are a couple nails in the boards
the wrong way that you have to take out, but it's not hard.

Wendy and
Lug - don't look at me, I've been asleep in the cage the entire time
Sonnet - They don't call me the incarnation of evil for nothing
Haiku - Sorry, was that important to you?
Paddington - Did I miss something?
Ballad - We all lined up behind it and pushed.
Jazz - Underwear, wonderful underwear, raining like manna from heaven!!!