From:
"Caryn K. Heffner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:11:47 EDT
shelter you so cleaverly did not name, I don't quite understand why
the website led you to question anything.  You know NOTHING about this
person.....have you met her???  Have you been to her house???  I think
not.  So what gives you the right then to put out such an email if you
don't have actual knowledge of what goes on at this shelter??  Yes she
breeds dogs, she has been doing that for a very long time, much longer
than the shelter has been there.  Did you know that the sale of the
puppies helps to fund the shelter????  No, I guess that possibilty never
crossed your mind.

I am privy to your "suggestions" made and they came off as yet another
"how dare you ask for money" answer.  Instead of saying something like
"what a nice gesture, did you try Fed Ex and UPS for discounts" you
basically made it sound like she was wrong for asking for help.  This
particular shelter has been hammered time and again for asking for
help.....actually, she rarely flat out asks for help, she sells items and
asks for sales.  She has NEVER received money from the SOS although she
IS on their shelter list.  (except for money that was raised at Petco and
went through the SOS to get to her, it was not SOS money)  She is also
on the shelter list for the AFA.  An influencial member of which has been
to the shelter and has seen it first hand.  She then passed on, to the
ranking members of the AFA, not only the validity of the shelter, but
also the fact that it was the CLEANEST shelter that she has ever been to,
this AFA member likes to go to the shelters for just this reason.  This
shelter is also listed on Petfinder and 3 local animal shelters contact
HER to take on the ferrets they cannot handle.  Do you think that they
would just call anyone and hand over an animal???

It would be interesting to see who in the ferret community you asked
about her that told you that she was not a real shelter.  How many of
them have been to her house and seen what goes on???  And further more,
what do you consider a REAL shelter?  The definition that I am aware of
is: "A refuge; a haven; an establishment that provides temporary housing
for homeless animals." You can go on the Petfinder website and see how
many ferrets have been rehomed through this shelter.  I have seen the
medical bill for this shelter account, just yesterday, and it is $3298
and change.  Yeah, she is definitely "in it for the money".....what an
assinine statement that was.

Exactly what do you consider verification for the validity of a
shelter???  She can verify her shelter account with the vet, she can
verify with contracts the people who have adopted from her, she can
verify the money she recently asked for was spent on shipping boxes to
Judy Cooke, boxes that are full of bedding, toys and medical items for
Katrina ferrets.  What more do you want???  The thing that amazes me the
most is that through asking others to help her help Katrina victims she
has been victimized herself and put through yet another ringer.  What
kind of person are you??  And you yourself are supposed to be in it for
the ferrets????  I beg to differ.

Caryn