From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 13:33:54 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/heartblock.txt
but there was a lot of later stuff so also use the easily searched
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/

If it turns out to be a Level One then the ferret should be able to live
out a full life though the vet may or may not want to try meds depending
on the particulars of the individual.  For more serious levels there is a
lot of info in both of these locations to help you and even a veterinary
cardiologist consultant for this specific problem.  In Level 3 (the
worst) Heart Node Block with insulinoma the cost for the multiple meds
does add up to a high sum; I think we were spending something like $100
a week on her meds in Sevie's last months.  I would suspect that in
Level 1 with no insulinoma the cost would be small, though.  BTW, those
consultants are not expensive, either -- something like $35 per
consultation.

One important thing to know: A/V Heart Node Block can at times be
triggered by insulinoma and maintaining the insulinoma tightly goes a
long way to helping the heart so do get the blood glucose checked to
be safest.

We were in the position at one point of needing to perk up Meltdown
during her cardiomyopathy which was why we introduced Jumpstart.  At that
point in time his source and route meant that he didn't have an exposure
to ECE (something he got walloped with much later when we added Ashling
and Scooter to our family).  It is extra important when a health problem
is present that any addition be healthy.  I'd first have the block
checked into to see how severe it is.  With serious heart conditions it
is important that life have interest but also that stress is kept low
which can be a hard balance, and only you know your ferret well enough to
judge how to do that best for the individual once you know from your vet
if it should even be risked.  If he is happy without a friend and if the
vet says after further testing that the condition is such that the risks
have to taken more seriously then it may be extra best to avoid the risk
of accidentally bringing in an illness or parasite which would place a
great strain on him, or stressing him with the need to create a dominance
relationship.  That is something the testing, your vet's expert opinion,
and your knowledge of Ralphie will best determine.

BTW, Meltdown had cardiomyopathy extra ventricular beats from that.  She
was expected to die almost immediately when other meds just didn't hold
her then Dr. Bruce Williams suggested Digoxin and she went something like
a year to a year and a half.  cardiomyopathy info and links to more info:
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/cardiomyopathy.txt
http://www.ferretcongress.org (critical reference links)

Dr. Kemmerer who is an FML member but often very busy (a norm for vets)
is truly excellent with hearts.  She even placed the first pacemaker in
a ferret years ago.  You can find her contact info in the International
Ferret Congress links mentioned above in relation to West End Animal
Hospital or by using the FML Archives
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html to find her address.
Her consultation fee is also very affordable.

>If you're not in the UK or don't make a hobby of beer drinking, you may
>be amused to know "Tetley" is brand of English Ale...

Thanks for adding that, Bill.  I thought of Tetley tea that one
grandmother used to drink in my childhood (Does it even exist any
longer?) and figured that it was tea-totalling (sp?) joke.

Catnip: our ferrets have and enjoy catnip toys.  I have read of one
ferret who had a serious allergy to it, but only of one so that is
possible, but...