From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:32:14 -0400
I think assessing keeping a ferret housed outside is pretty variable and
really shouldn't be done.  Yes the polecat is from Europe - but what areas
EXACTLY does it inhabit?  Latitude doesn't really tell the whole story -
since many areas of Europe are warmer than the U.S.  at the same latitudes
due to ocean currents etc.  England, Germany etc.  are quite a bit warmer in
the winter than say Minnesota.  I dont understand keeping pets outside
anyway - whats the point?  Your going to have to arrange to have them inside
anway as they get older and/or sick.  They're pets not a cash crop.  Also -
polecats dont have to contend with freezing metal cages that their feet
freeze to anytime they venture out of their box for exercise, food or
relieving themselves.

Mary, Boris and Giesela
P.S.  Really good info on demanding a court order when faced with
confiscation.  Without having it spelled out to remind me I'm sure I
wouldn't remember in the shock of being confronted by an official.

P.P.S.  Where I work we have a LAN system with a tackboard.  On the
tackboard there is a place where the employees can post things for sale,
info etc.  I posted a little info on ferrets and my extension for anyone
wanted to get more info or be on a waiting list for a rescue.  I got three
calls!  Just an idea for your human resources people and lan administrators.