Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:21:05 -0500
I'm behind on the fml but just wanted to throw out another thought to
be aware of with a vomiting ferret.

Our Stubbs had vomited one evening, and it seemed no big deal because
he was otherwise fine. About a week or so later he ran around one
evening choosing a corner to gag in, no more throw up, but then was
fine.

A couple weeks later we noticed one evening he wouldn't eat his soup,
but we figured it was because we changed the mixture. Later that night
he refused treats, and in the morning we couldn't get him to eat. Off
to the vet.

X-rays and ultrasound revealed a mass in his stomach. Surgery discoverd
five (FIVE) hairballs. We missed any signs completely. (and he's a
ferretone junkie, and we give hairball occasionally but clearly not
routinely enough!). I always look for thin stools or straining, but
these hairballs stayed in his stomach, occasionally blocking him up
and causing the earlier signs, then moving to the side and back to no
symptoms.

Just and FYI to be aware!
Risa