From:
Liz King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2010 14:29:08 -0500
I have dealt with biters in the past and had success with every one. It
never took more than a couple of weeks.

I have a new large ferret who not only bites very hard, but will not
let go. He is also very aggressive with me and actually jumps up at me
to try to bite my hands. Nothing seems to work with this one. I have to
wear gloves, which I know is not really recommended, but he has done
serious damage to my hands.

I have mostly been patient and loving to him. I offer him food and
treats with my hands hoping he will come to think of them as
"friendly". I have had to use bitter apple just to get him to let go.
That just makes him madder. Once I scruffed him and dragged him like
his mother would. Again that just made him angry and more aggressive.

Should I just back off for a while or should I keep trying. He is a few
months old and has not been handled much during that time. He is the
most awake ferret I have ever had. He is up for hours on end and I let
him roam around the house to enjoy all his tubes and toys and his
friends.

One positive thing about him, he is gentle with other ferrets. He will
be neutered soon. Could that make a difference?

Any advice you could give me will be much appreciated.

Liz