From:
Melinda Nelson-Hurst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:20:21 -0400
Here is the letter I am sending to the Audubon Society.

August 18, 1998

John Flicker
President of National Audubon Society
700 Broadway,
New York, NY 10003

Dear Mr. Flicker,

Subject:  Ferrets in California.

It has come to my attention that the Audubon Society is involved with
keeping the domestic ferret illegal in California.  I have been contributing
money to animal rites organizations, wildlife preservation organizations,
and animal shelters since I was 12 years old.  This will keep me from
contributing any money or time to the Audubon Society in the future.

An Audubon representative stated at a San Francisco hearing that it is
better for people to own cats than of ferrets.  House cats do hunt birds
and can live as strays.  However, the domestic ferret is not a threat to
any wild birds.  Domestic ferrets cannot even live in the wild.  People do
not take their ferrets out of the house often, when they do they usually
have them on leashes.  The only way domestic ferrets can be a threat to
birds is if an owner of both birds and ferrets left them together
unsupervised.  Please note that I do not have anything against cats.  I
have owned cats all my life.  I am just trying to show the invalidity of
this argument.

I do not understand the Audubon Society's position on this issue.  If you
can educate me on why the domestic ferret should continue to be outlawed in
California, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Melinda Nelson-Hurst