From:
"Scarlett A. Gray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:25:20 EST
To Debbi's remark on breeders that "send out" ferret and also run a
shelter.  Debbie, please look up the meaning of hypocritical.
(Artificial, counterfeit, deceitful, deceptive, phony, fake, insincere are
all synonyms.)  Then maybe you may see why many breeders/shelters may be
offended.

As a breeder that also runs a shelter, I feel that "if a breeder wants to
send ferrets out into the world, they should be willing to take in those
that need homes, love and special care".

As a breeder/shelter/rescue, I know I'll never make any money.  That is not
my main purpose for breeding or running a shelter.  The reason I breed is
for betterment of the breed and just plain love of them.  I take in rescues
because I feel strongly that if you're will to add to the population you
should be willing to help support the population and that's is one of the
things that makes you a responsible breeder!

I go to 8-10 shows a year, showing my "kids" and breeding from those that
do well at these shows.  Many of these fine people that I have met at these
shows work hard on breeding quality show/pet ferrets along with running
shelters.  And, if not a shelter, they have agreements with shelters.  Also
any reputable breeder will ALWAYS take back one of their ferrets at any
time.  Their contract states so.  A responsible breeder also guarantees
their ferret's health and offers one-one support.  Marshall's may guarantee
their ferrets but if a pet store send one back it's euthanized and how many
pet stores offer one-one support?

If it weren't for these breeders working on the betterment of the bred,
where would all the different colors and body styles come from?  It's the
breeders that have brought in the English, German, Austrialian, New
Zealand, Swedish, Scottish, Russian bloodlines to diversify the gene pool.
For years, the only colors/body style you could get from Marshalls was
sables and albinos and all were whippet body styles.  Then Marshalls went
to outside breeders and brought in new bloodlines.

Maybe since there are so many dogs out there we should do something about
all the breeders that show their animals at shows like Westminster - should
they continue to breed when there are so many homeless dogs out there?
Does it matter that they are breeding for disposition, comformation and
betterment for championship dogs as long as the puppy mills are out there
to supply dogs for the public.  Do breeders of specific breeds of dogs
take in their own kind if a humane society/shelter/pound gets one in their
facilty or is the shelter/humane society/pound stuck with the responsiblity
of caring and finding a home for these dogs Do they have "no kill"
facilities?

I don't usually respond to most of the things on the FML - due to my "full"
schedule because of my "kids" and fulltime job.  Ask any breeder and/or
shelter about their "free time".  It's the only thing other than love that
is free and their's not enough of either.  Thank goodness my SO is so
supportive.  Darn, no amount of money in the world could make me put in the
long hours I do for the sake of my "kids" - it's got to be love that makes
one do it.  And I can think of many, many breeeders and or/shelters that
feel the same way.

Ok, off my soapbox.  Blame it on the ferret fumes. :>)

Scarlett and all the Happy Dookers