From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 1995 20:05:15 -0400
Hello again FML'rs
Thank you to everyone who has e-mailed me welcomes and or questions.  I will
get back to you as soon as I can - busy schedule right now.  Am also
suffering computer avoidance syndrome.  Was in a chat room when I received an
instant message flash on the screen. I screamed and fell backwards off the
chair.  Thought the computer was attacking.

Bruce & Debbie - Thanks for the correction  - should have preceded statement
on adrenal disease "neutering at young age - definitely a factor"  with "In
my opinion, early neutering is a factor".  Am familiar with various studies
and know the jury is still out.  However, I know something you don't know.
na-na-na-na  na-na.  I talk to people everyday on calls for nursing care - on
telephone and now e-mail.  I have been tracking  adrenal disease incidence
and keeping records for years.  I catagorize replies on such things as age of
onset, source  of ferret, and all sorts of questions - even diet and previous
health problems.  Might have had something by now to send to Bruce and others
on data compilation if Sparky had not set the bedroom on fire a couple of
years ago.  All my log books were burned & had to start over.  Don't ask.
Yes,  I actually own an arsonist ferret and yes, part of the house burned.
All ferrets survived the fire.  I got a new bedroom and learned how to
treat ferrets for smoke inhalation.

killians - don't send your 12 yr. old daughter over to show me how to get
liquid Pepto down ferrets - unless she brings a nasal-gastric tube, it won't
work with my animals.  Prefer B. Williams 1/15th tablet Rx.

I am so excited - I'm actually being Attacked In Public on FML!  Does this
mean I am part of the group now??

Bruce - re ferret on pred. that cannot be weaned.  Please answer on FML - I
use and advise pred. as a short term adjunct to post operative management
after adrenal surgery.  Since prednisone will depress the remaining adrenal,
I only use it if ferret has "staggers" or undue weakness - and only for a day
or two - and than again if necessary.  I always advise queries to check with
their vet. and strictly follow his or her directions with regard to use of
pred.  However, if there is not secondary complication that would require the
longer use of pred.  - can easily understand how ferret would become
"dependent"  if continued on steroid.  Please attack this question - am
afraid to offer public advise.  (Riccio is watching)  Hi - Debbie.

Hi Mary - will answer asap.

Stephani - if you have not taken your ferret to vet - please do so
immediately.

Think I joined FML just as there was a "great what to clean ears with
debate".  Glad everyone agreed to use a q-tip.  On current ear mite question
- infected ears on cleaning may show - what looks like bits of black  on
Q-tip.  Mites easy to see with magnification.  I make it a rule to treat any
new or incoming rescue with a medicated "ear mite exterminator".  Will not
say which med I use and start another debate.

Got to run to pick up Jussy, The Hussy, who has been wearing out a happy hob
for six days now - gad, she is insatiable.  Should get a lot of kits from
this one - I hope.  I think this episitle will make it one line,  finally got
the address right, I think.

Best to all - Meg Carpenter (Can be reached day or night at 703-765-4353 for
nursing care advise).