Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 22:54:25 -0500
A Biblical quote:
>Actually, the rainbow is a sign from God that never will we have to fear
>that God will destroy the earth by flood as he did in the days of Noah and
>his ark.  The rainbow is a sign of remembrance that he will not forget his
>covenant with man regarding flooding the whole earth.  Genesis 9:13-17"

And Ed's query:
>If someone can help me tie the above posting to the "rainbow" in the
>rainbow bridge, I'd be most appreciative.  As an avowed agnostic,  I'm
>speechless.

Easy, it says so right in there.  "The rainbow is a sign of rememberance."
If it helps any, in Voodoo cultures the rainbow symbolizes the afterlife.
And of course, seeing a rainbow is good luck.

Speaking of Voodoo, I'm sure a lot of you have seen "The Serpent and the
Rainbow."  It's a movie about Haitian Voodoo, for those who don't know.
It's a horror movie, full of all sorts of make-you-jump moments.  One of
Dervish's first pranks occurred when my roommate had a bunch of friends
over to watch the movie.

They were all on the floor, eating McDonald's fries.  Dervish *loves*
fries.  At one of the most climactic jump moments of the movie (for those
who've seen it ... the nail-through-the-you-know-what scene), Dervish took
a flying leap from the sofa onto the head of one of our guests!  While he
recovered his composure---he nearly wet his pants---Dervish made off with
his fries. :-)

>Does the above scriptural verse also somehow relate to the choice that gay
>people have made in choosing the rainbow flag as their colors or symbol?

It's terribly off-topic, but check this for an explanation of the rainbow
flag (which has nothing to do with the Biblical verse or the Voodoo
interpretations of rainbows):

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/scotts/bulgarians/rainbow-flag.html

-(TX) Meghan and Dervish the WonderFerret