From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 09:59:15 -0600
Has anyone else heard about the challenge to the status of ferrets in
New York City by a group called Friends of Ferrets?  Evidently, a judge
ruled against them, citing the evidence that the city provided and the
need to protect the public.  I'm amazed that info about the case in
progress didn't show up here earlier.  BTW, I read about it on the
Usenet newsgroup clari.living.animals, but due to the copyright restric-
tions that ClariNet imposes (though it is an AP article), I'm not sure
how much, if any, I can quote from there.  I wish the FML membership
had known about it, as we could've helped out, I'm sure - especially
with MI changing its laws so recently.

[Moderator's note: It's appeared on the FML from time to time and there are
many Friends of Ferrets people subscribed here.  But my experience with the
people bringing the legal battles is that they are a very closed group that is
not very forthcoming with information (I received far more info about the cases
from third parties than I ever got from the folks asking for my contributions).
I gave money to them twice, but never again...this FML is big enough without me
getting into details and besides, I think they do some good too, at least in
some areas.  BIG]

On that topic, it's good to see the MI ferret fans posting under their
full addresses rather than anonymously.  Seeing so many anon postings
is sad.  Please, even if your area is safe for ferrets, try to do what
you can for those who are less fortunate and live in hostile areas.
To quote from the latest Greater Chicago Ferret Association newsletter,
"It's everyone's fight until it's everyone's right!"

Finally, I think ferrets must be addictive.  I saw and petted an adorable
female hooded sable kit in a pet store, and my heart melted.  Now I want
another lil furry! :)  My fiance' and I will probably be adopting one
from the GCFA shelter within the next few months or so.

Fight for the ferrets,
Denise, plus Rocko & Randall

--
/\\    ____  ,^-o, Denise Voskuil - [log in to unmask]
  ``-,'    `-';~~     Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"